Nine Tips You Never Knew About CPAP, #8 Will Surprise You!
Controlling sleep apnea with Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, or CPAP, will help you breathe easier, sleep better and live healthier.
Follow these nine tips for improved success.
- Communicate– Stay in close communication with both your sleep doctor and your CPAP vendor. Ask questions and seek help when you need it.
- Consistent Results – Use CPAP all night, every night and for every nap. You will receive the maximum health benefits from CPAP when you use it every single time that you sleep. This will also make it easier for your body to adjust to the treatment.
- Correcting – The first mask that you try may not the best one for you. Work with your CPAP supplier to make corrections to your equipment selection. Make sure that your mask is a proper fit and learn to use your equipment properly.
- Challenge Solved – Tell a family member or close friend to ask you each morning if you used your CPAP the previous night. Have someone to challenge you to give it your best effort. Use the buddy system.
- Connectivity – Your adjustment to CPAP will be easier if you are able to connect with others who use the same treatment. Ask your CPAP supplier if there is a support group in your area for people who have sleep apnea, or look for one on the internet.
Comfortable Sleep – increase your level of comfort by using a saline spray, decongestant or heated humidifier if CPAP irritates your nose, mouth or throat. Use your unit’s “ramp” setting to slowly get used to the air pressure level.
- Cleanliness is godliness– Clean your mask and tubing on a regular basis. Put this time in your schedule so that you don’t forget to do it. Check and replace the filters and tubing for your CPAP unit and humidifier.
- Continuity – Although you are never finished with CPAP therapy, you should reward yourself by celebrating the completion of your first month of treatment. Expect this first month to be your hardest period of adjustment. It will involve some trial and error as you find the mask that is right for you.
- Commitment is key – After your first month of treatment, continue to make a daily pledge to use your CPAP all night, every night and for every nap.
Call 1.877.430.2727 for help.
Edited by Bill Bistak B Sc.,SEO/SEM Spc, CRT
Cpapclinic is a vendor of the latest CPAP supplies and accessories since 2014. Cpapclinic operates two locations: Mississauga and Vaughan in Ontario, Canada and is available to serve you online: www.cpapclinic.ca 24/7.