Any demographic can suffer from sleep apnea. However, men suffer the most. And help is needed. Here’s why.
Here is the scoop:
– OSA impacts women two to three times LESS than men.
– Not every man who has sleep apnea is overweight or particularly unhealthy. Would you believe star athletes suffer from the conditions, such as Shaq, Frank Napoli, Reggie White, Percey Harvin, etc?
– Men exhibit the “classic” symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea including persistent loud snoring, gasping in the middle of the night, and daily fatigue.
– Men’s body size create specific health issues more than women, i.e. such as neck size (>17”, >16” in women).
– Hypoxia (or lack of oxygen) during sleep can lead to decreased testosterone level, low sperm count, and erectile dysfunction.
Highly specific health conditions contribute to obstructive sleep apnea, which affects men at greater percentages. One example is heart disease, which causes 1 in 4 male deaths in the US (321,000 a year). Moreover, by the age of 45, high blood pressure is more likely to be experienced by men than women. This condition is one of many that are contributing to or accompanying sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea affects men’s mental health as well. The problem is depression and personal stress are unfortunately ignored when men are impacted. A growing realization is a lack of sleep takes a considerable psychological toll. Certain studies suggest that more than 40 percent of men with obstructive OSA had some depressive symptoms.
Men of every age should take care of themselves and are encouraged to seek medical help when they think something is wrong. General practitioners should encourage the evaluation of ANYONE mentioning snoring or chronic fatigue and open the conversation about sleep health.
Call 1.877.430.2727 for help.
Edited by Bill Bistak B Sc.,SEO/SEM Spc, CRT
CPAP Clinic – hеаlthсаrе аt уоur hоmе
We ѕеrvе Grеаtеr Tоrоntо Area іn Cаnаdа.
Cоntасt: 1-877-430-CPAP(2727) or іnfо@CPAPClіnіс.са
Looking tо rent CPAP іn Tоrоntо? Thеn vіѕіt CPAPClіnіс.са аnd сhооѕе from a wide rаngе of CPAP nаѕаl masks in Tоrоntо аnd CPAP nаѕаl ріllоwѕ іn Tоrоntо today!
- AHI refers to the average number of breathing interruptions per hour.